Wednesday 8 May 2013

narcissistic supply

When Progressives Police People’s Sex Lives | Clarissa's Blog


As a measure of society's general unhealth, liberals are also very interested in narcissistic supply.

I tell you, that concept explains very much. I think it pretty much covers most of identity politics. We can understand why rich, white people embrace its postures as a means to gain status. At the same time, you will not see them making friends with anybody who is genuinely oppressed.

Strange but true story: When I returned for further education after my bachelor's degree, I wrote a letter to explain my interests, which must have come across as strange. I said something like: "There is this invisible thing that people are using to transact with each other. It's like energy shifts around and this is vitally important to people; it's a whole invisible economy. I'd like to identify this invisible economy and find a name for it."

I was probably vaguer than this, and so perhaps did not seem to be expressing any craziness -- I'm not sure. I did not receive a reply.

But now I understand what this invisible quantity of energy that shifts from one person to another is called: "Narcissistic supply". I understand why people plunder each other for it -- at least I understand why in theory. My perceptions were not off about this. There really was something going on. There still is.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity