Monday 6 May 2013

If It Weren’t For You. . . | Clarissa's Blog

If It Weren’t For You. . . | Clarissa's Blog


I've never wanted children -- have never felt any affinity for them. I have, however, had to spend many years bringing myself up, learning to grant myself certain freedoms and defend myself against other people's excesses. These skills were not taught to me. I had to gain them myself, through practice. I think at the age of fifteen my parents said, "That's it. You're an adult." After that, I had to learn everything for myself. That was when we migrated and my parents had no emotional energy to impart. It takes too much energy to start from scratch. So the way I see it, I have brought myself up, and this has been a difficult enough task for one lifetime.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity