Sunday 29 March 2015

Repost: mind the gap


+Mark David O'Connor By the way, this is not just about the trolls....there are people who can go for years thinking they know me when suddenly the gap between us appears and they have a total, like massive freak-out, realizing they never knew me at all. Then they accuse me of being evil or playing all sorts of tricks, when I had told them from the start my experiential basis and way of processing things came from an altogether different cultural and historical setting. I've tried to tell them and I've tried to tell them and I've tried to tell them, but speaking of historically engendered differences gets re-interpreted as "so and so thinks she's special". I keep going until the difference makes itself apparent all by itself and then there is a lot of upset. But this is connected to the limit is of communication. Some things can only be experienced, like the historical past. And sometimes it is only the gap between two speakers, rather than meaningful communication, that is experienced at long last.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity