Wednesday 18 March 2015

TUMBULAR 30

Our journey was when we burrowed under the floor of the bunker that was in part a block house (part above, part below the ground).  We were able to get out of our prison during the night, but we ended up in a seedy part of town.  I was wearing a black and gold shimmering dress, all the way down to my ankles, that encased me like a sleeve.  "I'll buy you a drink, love," said one bleary-eyed man, suggestively.  I threw myself over the metallic railing like a pole vaulter,  It took me no time to make that decision.  Down a slope was a Japanese izakaya.  There we could try exquisite bread with the same amount of fat as croissants.  Our delicacy was served with a baby bird the size of a thimble, which died.  In fact it had to be killed and then it accompanied the bread, but I saw no need for this and as a result only one bird died, a symbolic gesture, more than a meaningful act.

The Japanese official snapped into a ready position, with his fists slapping his sides, and we were served by gentle waiting girls who cut the exquisitive slices of bread.   This was not the best part of town as all the shops ran into an open street, which was dank and abandoned like a back alley.  The toilets were up a few stairs in a large building, and we availed ourselves of them.

It was a case of being free, although not in the most desirable manner, very Lilliputtian.



No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity