Friday 1 April 2016

My Dysfunctional Family Story Part 1 - YouTube

My Dysfunctional Family Story Part 1 - YouTubeJennifer Armstrong14 seconds ago

+Fight Narcissism I was terrorised so much by my father that I lost touch with quite a range of my emotions.  I buried them.  This made it difficult for me to understand other people's communication when they spoke to me in that more subtle range.   They said to me, "Oh, nobody treats others as you have been describing.  You must be sensitive."  I took them at their word and began treating others on the basis that my baseline of emotional experience was relatively "sensitive".  I presumed I must be speaking to very tough-minded people who could handle anything, who would view a little thrashing as something inconsequential.   That's when the critics started to say that I am bad and evil and needed to be firmly scolded and taught lessons.   The fact is that without access to the full range of emotional meaning, I had to go solely on the advice that I had been given -- and I had been given very wrong and convenient (but untrue) advice, rather than being informed.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity