Monday 25 April 2016

Scapegoats, Political Correctness, Integrity - the importance of resisti...

Scapegoats, Political Correctness, Integrity - the importance of resisti...One of the very worst things I had to deal with in my life was having trained monkeys constantly repeat to me that I'd had unfair privileges because of where I was born, when this really wasn't at all the case, not in the way they imagined it. The opposite was true. I had been treated with very great strictness and sometimes excessive harshness, because of the culture and circumstances into which I had been born. This was a mild, but constant form of gaslighting, that eventually had its very profound impact in that I just didn't know how to relate to contemporary Westerners at all. My own emotions and memories told me the opposite to what they were insisting on. They had had very mild lives, and easy upbringings, in general, whereas I had not had these things. In trying to make these two opposing realities add up, I concluded that Westerners must be extremely sensitive to mild things, since the range of my own experience, and the harshness of it, was entirely outside of their ability to grasp. But then the defenders of political correctness, in turn, accused me of being the one with sensitivity, since I had taken their gaslighting too seriously, and was starting to respond to it in all sorts of ways.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity