Wednesday 6 July 2016

AUDIO - Scapegoats Blacksheep - Workplace Family System - Narcissism in Society - YouTube

AUDIO - Scapegoats Blacksheep - Workplace Family System - Narcissism in Society - YouTubeJennifer Armstrong1 second ago

That was the analysis I made way back when I did my PhD. To contemporary Westerners I represented "colonialism" and had to be gotten rid of, and to my family I represented basically the opposite -- the downfall of their colonial belief system -- and had to be gotten rid of. Nobody was facing up to the fact that I wasn't any of those things, just a separate person. I also noticed that being labeled in these ways makes you look inward for a very long time. When I did, I found all of society's failures, the inability to understand how it was generating the nasty mess it then projected onto me. I found that people desire to view themselves as perfect and good and to feel that their actions never cause any harm to anyone. Therefore the harm must be coming from someone else. I was labeled as the cause, and as the cause of my own failure, and all sorts of things, when it was really just a clash of ideological forces, far greater than I, that was at work. I really was passive in all of this. I didn't invite any of it. I critiqued the moral failure of blaming me, endlessly. But that is not the same as drawing attention to myself for narcissistic supply, or inviting it.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity