Monday 4 July 2016

Weak ego boundaries as an adaptive mechanism - YouTube

Weak ego boundaries as an adaptive mechanism - YouTube 

Such a great point right off the bat. In fact, I just came to this realization (at my age!!) I lived up until now thinking that everyone except the very damaged had more or less the same way of thinking, feeling, analyzing, etc and that we are different only inasmuch as the flavour of those things. Perhaps someone might be stunted in one way or over-active in another but that at the bottom of it we were essentially built of the same 'psychology.' I see now, finally, that this truly isn't the case.
Jennifer Armstrong 
Yeah, it is not true at all.... Different styles of adaptation. I spent so much of my time when I was doing my academic research trying to figure out why Western psychology deemed the undifferentiated style of consciousness I have to be pathological. Apparently any stage prior to the development of Western individualism has to be marked and defined by pathological envy. But my own experience is that it is beatific, and totally unrelated to social needs or social demands. At this level one can also embrace a certain stoicism, which is discounted by the notions of Western psychology developed in advanced industrialized culture. It discounts stoicism and puts in its place a whininess and fragility (thus making an astute comment on itself).

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity