Sunday 17 July 2016

Double vision enables prediction of the future of the West - YouTube

Double vision enables prediction of the future of the West - YouTubeP. Schouten8 hours ago

"In a society geared towards the individual, and dominated by consumerism and celebrity, we are constantly encouraged to choose a better life for ourselves. The weight of each choice and the super-abundance of options can cause crippling anxiety and we defer to others to make the right choices for us. When we do get what we want, fulfillment is swiftly replaced by dissatisfaction and desire for a better option."
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/aug/21/tyranny-choice-renata-selecl-review

At the same time, the "responsible for everything that happens" view dooms us to guilt if only because we should at all times know better. I wonder if the epidemic of narcissism is a reaction to the loss of self-confidence brought about by anxiety and guilt in a marketing society. It seems like a reasonable alternative to depression.
Jennifer Armstrong 
You may really be onto something there. At least it could explain something to me. The problem with my ability to understand Western psychology is that I have never, or rarely had that sense of superabundance -- not a superabundance of choice and not of material goods. Actually I've had my legs kicked out from under me so drastically, and so often, that I cannot even begin to fathom a great variety of options for anything.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity